Friday, March 13, 2009

The good ole reading stack

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein comes out in April.

Thanks to my stellar "secret source" at Boulder Bookstore, I am the proud owner of many interesting-looking uncorrected proofs. I also have many generous friends who have recently lent me books even though they know (or now know) it will be a long time before I return them. (Please e-mail me if you can't wait for me to get to your borrowed book-- I'll totally understand.)
On top of my stack is Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein, a frequent This American Life contributor. It's a collection of cheekily re-vamped Bible stories that balance between hilarious, bittersweet and ridiculous. I like it so far, but I'm only halfway through. One thing I'd say is that Goldstein seems to be navigating a space where he's being funny, but he's also trying not to offend anyone. As a result, some of the stories could be a little flashier-- I mean, if you're going to inject some humor into the Bible, I'd go big. More updates as I read further!

In other news, here's a taste of my reading lust... I mean reading list:
No God But God by Reza Aslan
The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad
Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America by William Lobdel

Book suggestions? Send 'em my way!

1 comment:

  1. I've really been enjoying No god but God, although sometimes he needlessly tangles chronology, and there are undertones of the author doth protest too much. Also, thought you'd enjoy this article:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/190357
    --Michelle B

    ReplyDelete