Sunday, August 1, 2010

My last 6 months? Mountain towns, meditation and Christian rock

I've been pretty busy these past few months! There has been tons to explore in the deeply weird and wonderful cross-sections of religion and pop culture.
In May, I visited Crestone, CO, a remote town in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range known for its ashrams, meditation retreats, convents and new age communities. In June, I tried out mindfulness meditation with some great folks in Boulder's Jewish Renewal community. In July, I even went to the Lady Gaga concert, where I got to see her controversial use of religious imagery firsthand. (More on that in a few.)
This past weekend, I spent time at Heaven Fest, a giant Christian music festival in Longmont, CO. Almost 40,000 people braved the 98 degree heat and rock out with Christian rock, hip hop, hardcore, folk and indie bands. You can see my preview on the festival here.
I'm back to blogging and I have plenty to share from my travels, so stop by again soon! You can always reach me at bubblegumandbibles@gmail.com or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment