Friday, January 2, 2009

Modern breakups + ancient Indian epics = awesome-looking



I’m marking my calendar for two screenings of “Sita Sings the Blues,” a color-saturated, gorgeously animated film by Nina Paley.
U.S.- born Paley melds the storyline of the Indian epic Ramayana with her own autobiographical account of getting dumped by her husband via e-mail after he moves to India for work. It’s set to the music of 1920’s jazz artist Annette Hanshaw, adding an even more contemporary touch.
I don’t know much else about the film yet, but I do know the Ramayana packs in some serious action, adventure and soap-opera style betrayal, loss and greed. (I’ve only read parts of it because it’s made up of seven books—anyone know of an abridged version I can get my hands on?)

“Sita Sings the Blues” has gotten international accolades from film competitions in Holland, Melbourne, Taipei and Warsaw. Check out the trailer and official Web site here, then catch the flick 7 p.m. Wednesday, January 7 at the Starz Film Center, 900 Auraria Parkway in Denver. If you miss the Denver showing, catch a screening February 12th through the 15th at the Boulder International Film Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment